As someone who lives, works and breathes St. Charles Parish – finding summertime entertainment for my three kids is always on the agenda! As I looked around, I found many things to do here in the Parish of Plenty. So, I created this list:
- Head over to Wetland Watcher’s Park on Lake Pontchartrain in Norco. It’s where the Bonnet Carre Spillway meets Lake Pontchartrain. You can fish, hike trails, crab, ride bikes, and enjoy some summertime swamp fun!
- The Des Allemands Catfish Festival is June 23-25 on the fairgrounds at St. Gertrude Church in Des Allemands. Rides, carnival games, fresh catfish plates and poboys, adult beverages and live music! Fun for the whole family. Don’t forget to stop by the Cherry Bell booth and say hello to Grandma Plunk!
- The Westbank Bridge Park in Luling is hosting the Cal Ripken/Babe Ruth State Baseball Tournaments from June 29-July 2. Come out and support St. Charles Parish Allstars as they try to win the state title.
- The St. Charles Parish July 4th Fireworks Spectacular on July 3rd at the Westbank Bridge Park in Luling is free fun for the whole family. Listen to live music and watch the fireworks over the Mississippi River.
- The South Pacific in Destrehan? Yep – The River Region Drama Guild presents the South Pacific at the Destrehan High School Auditorium on June 8-11. Go out and support local students and other actors plying their craft at this theatrical presentation.
- Fishing in Bayou Gauche – anytime – take your local fisherkids down to Bayou Gauche and fish along the road for perch, catfish, or anything else that bites. Bring some bug spray and focus on the mornings or early evenings for the best chance of success.
- Attend a pool party – on June 17 Dat Dads’ Club of Luling is hosting a benefit from 8-11 p.m. at the Mimosa Pool to Support Jacob’s Journey to Arizona. For $20 per ticket, you receive entry to the pool, food, and drinks in support of this great cause!
- Bike The Levee – grab your kids, the bikes, and safety helmets and take a trip along the Mississippi from either the East Bank Bridge Park in Destrehan or the Westbank Bridge Park in Luling.
- Grab a Snoball – the flavorful New Orleans treat can be found at numerous spots throughout the St. Charles Parish from Grumpy’s in Paradis to Oak Lane Snoballs in Luling to Paradise Snoballs by Monsanto Park to Destrehan Delites in Ormond. I like the Cajun Praline with condensed milk (think I may head out now to grab one!)
I hope you and your family have a fun and adventure filled summer and enjoy some of the tips here on this list for fun right here in your own hometown!