Can I sue the State of Louisiana? Can I sue my parish or city for my injury?

There is an old saying - “You can’t fight City Hall!” But, what happens if the State of Louisiana or your local parish or city government is responsible for your injury? Can you sue the State of Louisiana?  Can you sue your parish or city/town?

The short answer is – probably.  However, in some cases, the answer is no, or yes, but don’t expect to ever receive anything. 

If you are injured as a result of the negligence of a state employee or parish/city/town employee, your claim is subject to special laws found in La R.S. 13:5101, et seq, also known as the “Louisiana Governmental Claims Act.”

Personal Injury Claims Against Government

Can I Sue the State of Louisiana?A common claim against a governmental entity is for collisions with emergency vehicles.  For example, you are driving and a police car flies through the intersection you have just legally entered. You hear the siren and see the lights, but you don’t have time to get out of the way before a collision occurs. Another example would be a wreck with your local parish’s public vehicle or if you are walking at a local park and the parish is cutting grass and something flies up and severely injures you.  What if a bad roadway design contributed to your injury?

The State of Louisiana and your local parish and/or city/town governments are usually bound by the same rules of negligence that apply to all others.  There are some changes depending on circumstances – like for an emergency vehicle responding to a call – but generally, the negligence laws apply.

Your case may be also subject to certain rules about where your lawsuit can be filed, when it must be filed, how much you can recover, and whether or not you can have a jury determine your damages.

Contact a St. Charles Parish Personal Injury Lawyer

As a knowledgeable St. Charles Parish personal injury attorney, I can help you decide if you have a claim against your local parish/city/town or the State of Louisiana and if so, together we can hold them accountable for your damages.  If you feel you may have a personal injury claim against a government entity, contact us today at (985) 240-9773.


Loyd J. Bourgeois
Connect with me
Nationally recognized attorney dedicated to fighting life's legal battles with compassion and care