May is Disability Insurance Awareness month. The Council for Disability Awareness has created a Disability Disconnect Infographic illustrating the large gaps between employees’ disability awareness and their actual disability risk.
- The chance of missing work for three months or longer as a result of illness or accident is far higher than most employees realize. More than 25 percent of today’s 20-year-olds will become disabled before they retire.
- 65 percent of employees could not pay their bills for more than a year without income.
- The average group long term disability claim lasts 2.6 years.
- The top five causes of new long term disability claims in 2012 were: Muscle/Bone Disorders (arthritis, herniated or degenerated disc, back pain, spine/joint disorders), Cancer (breast cancer, prostate cancer, lymphoma, tumors), Accidents (fractures, sprains and strains, dislocations), Mental Disorders (depression, anxiety, substance abuse), and Cardiovascular (hypertension, heart disease, heart attack, stroke).
- Women comprised more than half of new long term disability claims in 2012.