U.S. Highway 90 cuts straight through the heart of the west bank of St. Charles Parish. The highway is an inescapable daily reality for residents of Des Allemands, Paradis, Mozella, Boutte, and Luling, and natives of Hahnville, Ama, and Killona often find themselves as drivers or passengers on the heavily traveled roadway.
To go along with the heavy traffic, the red-lights, the big trucks, and the inattentive drivers, Highway 90 has something else – title of “Most Dangerous Highway in Louisiana!.”
Geotab, a technology company providing fleet management solutions to help manage drivers and vehicles, recently released a study on “The Most Dangerous Highways in America”.
With a fatal crash rate of 1.2, over 270 total crashes, and 295 fatalities during the review period, Highway 90 tops the list as the most dangerous highway in Louisiana.
Highway 90 ranks 5th worst for total fatalities, 7th most in total crashes, and 11th for fatal crash rate.
As many local residents do, my family and I have personal experience driving on and being involved in a crash on Highway 90 here in St. Charles Parish. We can attest to the dangers of the highway, and it seems to get busier by the day.
Please stay safe out there if you travel Highway 90 or any other roadway.
Safe Driving Tips in St. Charles Parish
I wanted to follow up this post with a few safe-driving tips that may help you stay out of danger on Highway 90 through St. Charles Parish or on any other roadway.
1. Focus on driving
- 100% of your attention is on driving at all times – no texting, calling, playing with the radio, etc.
- No Facebook, YouTube, SnapChat, Instagram or Twitter while driving – and please, no car selfies!
2. Drive “defensively”
- Don’t Speed - speeding gives you less time to react and increases the severity of an accident.
- Keep a lookout - stay aware of what other drivers around you are doing, and expect the unexpected.
- Assume craziness - and always be prepared to avoid it.
- Don’t tailgate – 2 seconds behind the car in front of you (4 seconds in rain)
- Don’t Take Chances
3. Plan ahead
- Build time into your trip schedule to stop for food, rest breaks, phone calls or other business.
- Adjust your seat, mirrors, and climate controls before putting the car in gear.
- Pull over to eat or drink. It takes only a few minutes.
4. Practice safety
- Don’t attempt to retrieve items that fall to the floor.
- Have items needed within easy reach.
- Always wear your seat belt and drive sober and drug-free.
- Keep kids in car seats or booster seats according to manufacturer recommendations.
While nothing can really guarantee your safety while traveling on the highway, abiding by these tips can help reduce your chances of being involved in an accident.
Our team is currently working on a few injury cases for crashes and collisions that occurred on Highway 90 in St. Charles Parish. If you are a St. Charles Parish resident or someone injured in St. Charles Parish looking for a personal injury attorney in Luling, LA to represent you – give us a call today at 985-240-9773.